In the Tuscan tradition, a rainbow of beans – from green to white to red to black – with the heavenly fragrance of basil and sparkle of sun-dried tomatoes.
Serves 8 – 12 as a side.
- 1 cup organic green beans, trimmed and cut into 1in pieces
- 1/3 cup finest extra virgin olive oil, for example, Fresh Basil from Temecula Olive Oil Company
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh fennel
- 1/4 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, green tops only
- 1 14-oz can organic butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can organic cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can organic red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup Trader Joe’s Orange Muscadet Champagne Vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 5 large leaves fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (about 8 grinds)
- Either poach, steam, or microwave green beans for 1 minute only, then put them into a large serving bowl. Drizzle them with the olive oil.
- Mix in the fennel, sun-dried tomatoes, and green onions.
- Stir in butter beans, white kidney beans, red kidney beans, and black beans.
- Drizzle in vinegar and sprinkle on basil, 1 teaspoon salt, plus a few grinds of pepper. Taste. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 8 hours, taking out from cold 1 hour before serving to bring to room temperature.
First posted by Barbara Newton-Holmes on www.CulinaryOracle.com on February 25, 2016.